Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have many clinical developments and brand-new methods emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the chance to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the quick and painless way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by expensive ads about a specific laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser. Discover who will in fact do your procedure, then inquire about that physician's certifications (e.g., board accreditation, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional doesn't understand wikipedia reference can hurt you.
4. Request details on why not try this out your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, discover another one. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to prevent infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make sure that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as good as a discount parachute.
Expect to see really well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go somewhere else. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the eyesight of countless individuals all over the world.